Sunday, October 07, 2007

Gobble gobble!

This weekend is Thanksgiving; this is not news. We (Canadians) have ours in October and our American friends have theirs in November. Why the difference? In the US their celebration is more of the pilgrims coming together with their (native) Indian neighbors and ours celebrates more the crop harvest.

So as Jaci and I have been married for almost two years now I thought that it would be a swell idea to host the family dinner, which usually consists of about six people. This year there was eleven people. We also opted to have the dinner Saturday so that Tracey could make it as well as my dad (who flies out this evening for England).

Our house is a good size but it was still cramped to sit and host eleven people. We had Jaci and I of course, Jac's brother Gary, my mom and dad, my sisters Kerrie and Tracey, nephew Christopher, Aunt Janet and Uncle Bill (up from Florida) and Tracey's friend Karen. Quite a daunting task really, bearing in mind we have never had that many over at one time before.

So my little love bug made her first turkey, as well as handmade stuffing, potatoes, and cranberry sauce. The corn, broccoli and cauliflower weren't hand made from scratch but still tasty! To finish the meal was Jaci's famous apple pie and triple chocolate cake (mom made me a cherry pie). Many compliments were heard because my beautiful bride really out-did herself.

One of the best thanksgiving dinners I've had in a long time. We have just about finished cleaning up after it and soon we will depart for church where my sweetheart will be singing a solo today, just to round-out her weekend.

I hope you all have a great weekend and your turkey is as good as mine was!

Be well all!