Saturday, April 28, 2007

Duh Mass

So I was reading today's newspaper and I was once again floored by the stupidity of the common teenager. Now I'm not picking on teenagers in general, just the stupid ones. I'm sure that any teenager reading this will say something akin to "that's not me, he's talking about someone else, I'm invincible".

A young lady, all of eighteen years old, was clocked on the Lincoln Alexander Parkway (which has a posted limit of 90 kph) doing 194 kph. Her excuse? She thought she had run over something and was trying to "shake it loose". The full story is here, but it's small and I've given you most of it.

At that speed, she doesn't get a ticket, she gets a summons to appear before a judge who will I most sincerely hope, take her licence away for a long, long, time. Long enough that her children will be driving her around.

Some of those who read this blog are in my line of work or something similar (firefighter, nurse, cop etc) and have seen the results time and time again of teenage stupidity. I'll grant you that stupidity is most certainly not restricted to teenagers, but teenagers have their own distinct brand of duh-massness.

News headlines local and abroad are filled too often with stories about excessive speed. Almost six months ago, my old partner Darren responded to a man who was cut in half after being hit by a speeder. But it doesn't stop.

I don't get it.