Sunday, March 04, 2007

Birthday musings....

So today is my birthday. Thirty-two years old. No longer in my twenties, not even thirty, I am now absolutely "thirty-something".

So it's not like I was surprised by the day, I know it's coming every year. This year it seems different though; and I have been reflecting on it and why I think it's different.

For one, I'm all grown up. I've been established in my career for several years now, I've been happily married for more than a year. While there are no kids yet there are two cats and a dog. Jaci and I have wills and powers of attorney, we even have life insurance.

My way of thinking has changed dramatically and I think for the better from my youth. Some examples:

Faith. I always considered myself a faithful man, but in the past little while I have really been examining my faith, studying it to try and give myself a better and deeper understanding. These days I feel like my spiritual journey is moving ahead with leaps and bounds. While I don't understand everything and likely never will, the understanding that I have been getting has been leaving me satisfied and wanting more.

Drinking. I don't do it nearly as often or in the quantities that I used to. I am really getting too old for that crap. While I really enjoy a beer on a hot day, or a glass of nice wine, these days I am more than content to stop there. And really, once you've had Debi's Elf Punch, everything else seems bland and unsatisfying.

Swearing. While I still swear at work sometimes, I have been making serious efforts to curtail it. While as an adult, one is allowed to say whatever you want. I am finding that because I'm an adult I would rather use other words to express my opinion. That being said, when I stub my toe in the middle of the night I realize I still have a long way to go.

There are other things I have been reflecting on of course, but those are the top three.

So now I am going to get myself some lunch and enjoy my day. Jaci has made enough Elf Punch so that I will be able to drink as much as I want all day long. Gone are that days where a birthday meant staying out for all hours of the night. Now I look most forward to spending quiet time with my lady love and any friends or family that may happen to call or stop by.

Be well all.