Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I'm sorry, what did you say?!?

So I have this idea for a rant. Something that has been grinding my gears for some time and this morning I have decided to finally put my thoughts onto electronic paper.

My rant du jour is on language; and bad language at that. Not just cursing, although I will attempt to address that, but on the everyday use of the Queen's English.

What brought this particular pimple to a head was a discussion I was having with my beautiful bride about a history assignment she was doing for school. We were talking about Canada's role in World War II and MacKenzie-King's (in)famous "Conscription if necessary but not necessarily conscription". Needless to say I was thrilled to be having this kind of conversation with my love where we are both actively engaging our intellect (hers is greater than mine I'm proud to say).

I was able to find for her his actual speech where he explains to everyday Canadians about the referendum that will happen that will morally release him from a campaign promise. If you want to read the speech, check it out here. This is where the idea for this rant really starts to come to the forefront.

MacKenzie King was an educated man and he was addressing a population where only a select few had any post-secondary education. Many did not finish highschool, yet he speaks to these masses without "dumbing down" his language. Why? Our parents were taught how to speak and comprehend the English language; that's why.

They were taught at school and by the examples of their parents. They didn't have powerful tools like computers, internet and spell checking. They used books, spelling tests, essay writing and other methods to produce adults that could effectively communicate orally or in writing. Shocking isn't it?

Just last night at work I was watching people come out of a dance club and an example of some words I heard the most of: dawg, 'ho, gee (which is actually a word, but it usually pertains to horses), dis (with dissed and dissing) as well as a host of curses and swearing enough to make a sailor blush. Also, many would say "Word" like it was a complete sentence. I don't get it. What word?

The argument can easily be made that the inability to effectively communicate easily leads to frustration. Frustration leads to anger and anger leads to the dark side (as per Master Yoda). Not at all good.

So where did education take a left? Who decided this was "ok" and allowed it to continue to the point where it is now rampant? I don't know. I do know that I don't like it. I also know that my ability to change it is practically non-existent. This will all change if course when I become dictator but for the mean time I just bang my head into the wall.

Is it because it's easier to speak that way? Less thought makes life better? I don't know and I can only guess. Any time I try to ask people why they speak like that they just laugh (you know, LOL, LMAO and the like).

As for swearing, wow could I ever go on! I'll grant you that I have been guilty often of swearing; and that in no way excuses anything but I will still get my two cents in on this topic. I have often said and have tried to teach youngsters that swearing is used by those that don't have the intellect or vocabulary to communicate effectively. Barring the occasional stubbed toe or sudden fright; there really is no need for it.

Over the past few years Jaci has been helping me with my language choices in that I have always tried not to swear around ladies and as she's always around, my swearing instances have therefore taken a dramatic nose dive. With that being said, I have felt my face flush over some things I have heard from kids much too young to know the meaning of those kinds of words.

Is there anything that can be done? Is there enough soap to wash all the mouths? I don't know. The only thing I think I can do is try to set the best example that I can, particularly when we have kids.

At any rate, the hour is long and my eyes are heavy.

Thanks for reading, and be well all.