Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Base Picks

Every year, we at Hamilton EMS do what is called the "base-pick". We are given a copy of the master schedule for the coming year and then by seniority we pick which squad, base, and/or partner we want to work with next year.

This year has been slightly different. Instead of taking months to do this, it has been crunched to just 5 days. What now happens is each member is given a date and time (with a ten minute window) to call the guy recording everything, an the onus is on us to make sure we call at the correct time and date. At the end of each day (picks happened between 1200 and 1600 each afternoon) Rob (the recorder) emailed to everyone an update on who has picked where so you can see what's open.

To a casual observer, this is no big deal. I however, have been agonizing over this for days. Why? You might ask because it's a good and fair question. I'll try to explain why this decision has been driving me nuts.

First, I knew I wanted out of my current base. We are right in the downtown core and I am getting sick an tired of what I call the "John St. bull". Anyone that has heard me speak of this knows what I am talking about and if you don't, just ask me and I'll delight in filling you in.

I've been working with Darren now for almost 2 years and don't get me wrong, I would still really enjoy working with him, but he still wants to stay at John St., and as I said, I don't. So when picking a new spot, there is a multitude of things to consider, and I'll try to explain them.

First is base. What are the start times? Where is it? Close to home? Do I need to take the highway to get there? Or another option is to pick a "float" spot. Floats fill in at various bases when medics are sick or take holidays.

Also to consider is the squad you pick. I was lucky that I got to see where most of the medics senior to me have picked because there are some of them that I just don't want to work with; that's just life. I'm sure there are some that don't want to work with me for a full year; not everyone clicks with everyone else. I can only think of a couple of medics lower than me I don't want to work with so that's not really a large consideration. To keep the same rotation, I would have to pick squad 2 or 4 which do 2 weeks of days and two weeks of nights (I'm currently on squad 2). Another option for the same rotation is squad 6 which works straight days. I've said for awhile now that I would like to try straight days.

Another consideration is your partner. For those who have never done it, it is hard to imagine what spending 42 hours a week with someone is like. You could argue that you spend that and more with a spouse and I would counter that you likely had years to decide that you wanted that kind of commitment to each other. Here I've got days.

For those that work in an office, pick one person in the office and wonder what it would be like to sit beside them for 42 hours a week. It isn't easy. Jaci often refers to Darren as my work wife. I will say that I have been very fortunate.

Two years ago Darren and I decided to work together on a whim and I think I would be hard pressed to find a better partner. We also became quick and fast friends. We have eaten in each other’s homes, know each other’s families, I was at the dedication of his first son (he now has two more sons and a daughter who are 6 days old now); and he was one of twp people from work invited to my wedding (where he sang a lovely rendition of Edelweiss). Not that I wouldn't have liked more, but we had an intentionally small wedding. Darren and I know each other well enough that we can communicate with few or no words and that takes time and a willingness to develop.

Also to consider is who on the disabled list picked and where. For example, John Doe picked a nice spot but he's hurt his back and won't be back on the road for at least a year. This means that his spot will become open to others on that squad. So if I pick that squad and have decent seniority, I may get a good spot for that reason.

Yet another consideration for me was my sweet Jaci. With her in school and eventually teaching; I thought that a straight days squad would be preferable so I would be home every night. I much prefer sleeping in my own bed nestled with my love than trying to catch a few Z's in the front cab of the ambulance. It also makes for a healthier sleep schedule.

So many things to consider and I thought of them all. Hence the agonizing. Jaci was very patient with me during this process and helped me considerably.

So the end result? I opted for squad 6 (straight days) in a float position. There is an excellent likelihood that a spot I want will open up on that squad. I'll keep you posted.

Be well all.