Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Reflections

I've never really felt that January first was the new year; it's usually been September first. That's when school starts up, cadets start, television programs start their new seasons and so on. So I always look forward to September as starting something anew.

This year things have changed and it has caused me to reflect inward as I took note and stock about my life and its varied and very diverse components. Also, as I am wont to do, I thought I would share some of the thoughts that have come across my little mind. These are in no particular order.

First is cadets. I have been actively involved in cadets since I was 12 years old. Literally more than 18 years of my life I have been active with a unit. This year I have decided to take some time off. The reasons are numerous. One is that the area detachment (middle management) is frustrating me to no end and with no end in sight. Two is that I didn't have much fun with cadets last year which is not a common occurrence. I always have fun and I wasn't so maybe it's time to take some time away to reset and determine priorities. Another reason is church. There looks to be some very interesting programs maybe running this year and I would like to take more of an active role in participation and maybe even facilitation.


Second is my beautiful bride. This is the first September we are married. This month is the first month in our new home. Oddly enough we were both commenting last night how this house in two weeks actually feels like our home much more than Dundas ever did. While we are still gazing at each other, we are starting to look outward together. Before we were married it was a conscious thought to make sure I said "we" instead of "I", now there is no longer an "I", it is only an "us". It feels weird and great at the same time.

Not that I have lost any individuality, far from it. Only that we talk everything through, and look to the future together and plan for our life. By far the most exciting thing I have ever done. I have recommended marriage to anyone that asks how married life is but I don't know if I can really do that because there is only one Jaci, so only I get to know what life with her is like. I think I will still recommend it though.

Third is work. I have been contemplating attempting ALS training next September. While I have not completely made up my mind, right now I am leaning against it. I don't know if we will be ready financially, I don't know if I am ready professionally, and I'm not sure I really want to do it. I am thinking that maybe I want to focus more on doing more of the history at Mac.

I also think that I am going to get away from the night shifts. I am 95% convinced that I am going to go straight days for the next calendar year. I like my base and really enjoy my partner, but I am really disliking nights. Also with Jac in school and (hopefully) teaching after, she will be home each evening and I want to be there with her.

Last but by certainly no means least is the terrorist attacks of 9/11. It's time to move on. Mourn the lost, celebrate the heroes of the NYPD and FDNY, let go of the rest. Be vigilant but not paralyzed. Life does go on. The birds still fly, the babies still cry, life will go on.

Two quotes to share with you. The first from Anne Frank:
"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature."

The second from Henry James:
"Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact."

Be well all.