Friday, July 28, 2006

Drop that fork!

So I was reading in todays spec, an article focusing on obesity and the medical world. To summarize, very obese patients do not fit into some of the older scanners such as CT machines and MRI because they are too fat (note - as a pizza carrying member of the calorically challenged, I can safely use the word "fat" without repercussion). Even basic x-ray machines. These "old" scanners were only designed to accommodate patients weighing less than 400 lbs (180ish kilos for us metric folks).

Even something like an ultrasound can be blocked or appear "fuzzy" because of the many layers of fat blocking the waves. If patients can't be properly scanned they can't be properly diagnosed. This leads to an improper or even a missed diagnosis of many things such as liver disease and cancerous tumors. Even just getting Shamu onto the scanner bed is a ton of work (no pun intended). How many of you can say you know what it's like lifting an unconscious fat person?

We at Hamilton EMS have a tarp (called a Manta because it's as big as a Manta Ray) which is designed for people up to 800 lbs (360ish kilos). It's designed for 6-8 people to use, we affectionately call it the "fat mat".

The article further states that obesity in North America was 13% in 1978, and in 2004 that number was 23%. That's huge (again - no pun intended). So where do they send the fatties? Veterinary clinics to use machines designed for farm animals. That's right, people get sent out to be x-rayed on a machine that is used to the weight and size of cows and horses. I would hate to find out how that would make me feel.

So here's where I'm going with this...Put down the fork. There are some people that have genuine hormonal and or glandular problems that make you obese. They are however a small minority. Most suffer from what I call "fork in mouth disease". I am one of those people.

At what point do you say "no thanks" to that second helping and decide to go for a small walk after dinner? Or opt for a small bowl of Jell-O instead of ice cream and cake for dessert? Where is the breaking point? I know it's an individual thing that takes will power and support from those who love you to even have a chance to work.

My breaking point came about two weeks ago. I stepped on the scale and it groaned out a reading of 301lbs (never mind the kilos). Down went my fork. I have struggled with my weight since I was kid and I got all the names "Fat-so, tub-o-lard, Orca" etc. Enough is enough.

I love my food and especially Jaci's cooking but something has to give and it won't be my arteries. So to date I have lost a little more than 10lbs. I am not looking for a pat on the back here, Jaci is proud of me and that's all I really need. I have just come to the conclusion that I am too much a fat bastard and it's high time I fix that fat.

I'll keep you posted periodically as I lose decent numbers.

'Nuff said.