Thursday, May 11, 2006

Pleased to make your acquaintance.

Jaci and were talking the other day (actually we talk several times each day but that's not overly relevant at this point) about friends and who we thought was a good friend and what indeed makes a good friend. This sent my little mind into a whirlwind tizzy and I concluded that I have very few friends, and a lot of acquaintances; and I'm OK with that.

I think some may be surprised by that statement because I'm (almost) always and open, honest, friendly guy. One might think I'd have dozens of friends. I don't think however that every one shares my definition of "friend". Allow me to explain.

To me a friend is someone you can always call upon, no matter the reason, no matter the time. A friend is someone always in your heart, even if they aren't always in the forefront of your mind. A friend will stand beside you throughout anything, "thick or thin" as it were. A friend will pass judgement on you (ie "Man, was THAT ever a stupid thing to do!"), and will be there years later to regale your children with the story (unless the friend was there too!)

Everyone else I think of is an acquaintance; and that's not a bad place to be. There are few honours greater than to be called "friend". Most of the people at work that I see almost every day and laugh with, share meals sometimes, share traumatic experiences with I don't call "work friends", they are acquaintances.

When I think of who in my life I can truly call friend, I think of my beloved Jaci first above all because she is my best friend in addition to being my beautiful bride. I think of John C. Whom I have known since the third grade. Even though these days we see each other only a few times a year; each time we are together it's like we never separated.

I think of my work partner Darren. Darren and I spend 40+ hours a week in the same room together, often more than we spend with our wives. Even though I have known him for a short while we very early on went past the"work partner" line and became friends.

There are others of course but when I start to count them on my fingers, I get to about 8 or so (barring family); and I'm OK with that. There are some acquaintances now that may become friends later, but I don't need to think of myself with hordes of friends to feel complete. The few friends I have, I cherish.

Does that make me a bad or cold person? I don't think so. Maybe I just have a different perspective; and thought I would share it with you.