Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Who's circling the wagons now?

Today I going to express my opinion about an ongoing "hot" topic that's been in the news everyday lately. Before I begin I want to state emphatically that this is my opinion only, please bear that in mind.

I am sick and bloody tired of the damn natives. Not all mind you, just the ones that like to protest "peacefully". Their behavior is akin to sitting "peacefully" beside a really big dog while holding a steak in one hand and poking the dog with a sharp stick. The end result is no matter what you say, you're gonna get bitten.

Before the developer broke ground he would have had to file a substantial amount of paper work with local officials. Was there a protest then? No.

When construction begins one doesn't help but notice all the heavy equipment re-shaping the landscape. Was there a protest then? No.

The protest starts when the developer has put millions into the project (far too much to reasonably pull out) and who really gets hurt here? Mostly the developer. Now that there is a definitive court order for the protesters to vacate, they are coming out of the woodwork. One man from a reservation in Cornwall has even stated (note the quotes) "Sometimes I hope it doesn't end violently, sometimes I hope it does...At least it would be finished and we could show we are ready to do what we have to do,".

And what is that? Hold the developer and the provincial government up for extorted blackmail. If they kick up enough stink, they hope government will throw some money at them.

What is the issue here? The natives are stating that the land was given to Joseph Brant almost a couple of CENTURIES ago. Is he still alive? Does he want the land back? Are there any of his ACTUAL descendants that are making this claim? No, no, and no. But once the land starts to look inhabitable, the natives get restless. They draw a literal line in the sand and publicly state that they won't be responsible for anyone who crosses it.

So now there is a definitive order from a court of law saying if you don't get off the land, you will be arrested and forcibly removed. So why hasn't the OPP done this? If it had been Muslims, Chinese, Spanish, or a group of circus clowns doing the protest the OPP would have evicted them on day one. Maybe they are still smarting from Ipperwash; that's only my guess.

So what does it all boil down to? They are breaking the law, and flaunting it; and the most tragic thing about this is they are getting away with it. Can I do that? Can I go to the store down the street, grab a new TV, walk out and dare the police to arrest me? Sure I can and you know what would happen? I'd get arrested. Natives aren't special. They really aren't. If they think they are getting the rotten end of things they should try walking down Main St. Beijing holding the King James Bible. Those protesters have real guts and a real cause.

For those of you who think I am wrong, and you're out there, I know you are; before you start to jump all over what I am saying do something for me first. Take a drive to any reservation you want. Pick five of them if you like, or even more than five and drive through them. Show me one, ONE reservation where they have either developed the land enough so they and their families can live in comfort AND/OR where they living with nature according to their vaunted native traditions. I think you will be hard pressed indeed and I believe ultimately unsuccessful.

So here is my solution. Get a large force of police (no firearms), outnumber them and arrest them. In accordance to the law they are breaking and flaunting. Let them commune with nature in a 5x9 cell.

To my mind, there is no such thing as a native Canadian, a French Canadian, an English Canadian or an anything else Canadian. We are all Canadian. Period. We are free citizens in a lawful society where the best and brightest know there are better ways to get your point across.

'Nuff said.