Sunday, April 02, 2006

My bad.

I was reading Abby's blog and I was going to leave a comment and as so often happens with me my "comment" seemed to drag itself into a blog. So for the record, this started as a comment to something Abby had said.

Anyone with pets will tell you that with an animal, you always know where you stand. Whether it's one animal to another animal, or animal to human (which is also an animal, I know); there is never any doubt about what that animal thinks of you. Dogs will cuddle up, or growl. Birds will sit on your shoulder, or fly away. Cats will ignore you, well they ignore you regardless but if they don't like you they pee on your things.

Humans on the other hand are not that simple. Far too often we don't tell people what we really think of them. Why is this I wonder. Is it because we are afraid to open up to some and therefore risk exposing ourselves to emotional risk? Are we sometimes to afraid of what other people think of us to tell them what we really think? Maybe it's just a twisted sense of politeness.

Now that's an interesting thought. Is it more rude to tell someone "I don't overly like you, but I can still be civil and polite to you" or to make them think that you like them? Are we trying to spare their feelings or are we trying to avoid the confrontation.

With Jaci for example. She is the light of my life and the beat of my heart. I make a point to tell her likely at least a dozen times a day that I love and I thank God that He has put her into my life. I'm pretty sure I got the better end of THAT deal! But what about with others.

As for Abby. I will say that I don't know her as well as I would like. I will also say that from what I do know I like her very much. She has a refreshing sense of honesty and doesn't shy away from topics from her own life that that many would find hard to talk about. Based on what I have read, she is far and away one of the most courageous people I know. She has made numerous overtures to join conversations and leave comments on blogs. So to my way of thinking, if she feels excluded, than I am not meeting her half-way. I am not making the same overtures and I do feel bad.

So after all that. I think that with my personality, if i didn't like someone, they'd know it pretty quick. I try not to hide that. It will not however preclude civility and politeness. I was raised to be courteous and I do make every effort.

So to conclude. Abby, I'm sorry I haven't spoken with you as much as I should have but I will endeavor to correct that oversight.

'Nuff said.