Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I wear my sunglasses at night....

So in the news recently is how hydro is going up (on average) 10%. In a sad way I understand this because the province makes "x" amount of power and if consumers want to use more than that than hydro buys it elsewhere. And because Hydro is a business; and a lucrative one if the 1.5 million dollar salery of its CEO is any indication, it wants to make money. This I understand as well.

Now for my opinion, which as usual will likely get me into some hot water (which is heated by??). The jump in hydro is our own fault. Residential and commercial consumers as a whole do very little to keep hydro consumption down. I shall explain.

During winter months of course we need to heat our homes, but during your working hours how many actually turn their heat down? Not many do; but really, does it have to be a comfy 22 degrees when you aren't there or can the dogs and cats tolerate a little cillier 19 degrees? Doesn't seem like much, but it does add up.

What about air conditioning? Hydro One cites the massive use of air conditioners, central air and the like as the major factor in power shortages and some have cited air conditioning as a large factor in the blackout of '03. Do we need air conditioning running all the time in the warmer months? I know that I've never had it and there have been times I would have sold my soul for it but I'm still alive. Humans survived for thousands of years without air conditioning just fine.

That being said I hear loud and clear the argument that we have the technology, you have the money, chill away. Understood, just so long as you don't complain about paying more for hydro.

On the commercial side, in addition to commercial sized heating and air conditioning as above, many businesses leave lights on at night when no one is there. I drive downtown Hamilton for work and at four in the morning you don't need streetlights because of all the lights left on with many businesses.

I would definately be in favour of a city by-law restricting businesses from leaving lights on during off hours. We as tax payers pay for street lights, and are now paying added hydro costs.

Largely it's an individual issue. I have energy saving light bulbs which cost a little more to buy, but use ALOT less energy and last 100 times as long as a regular bulb. I have already recouped the costs for the bulbs themselves.

I think if everyone made a conscious effort to use a little less power, we would all save money in the end.

As with all things, it's a personal choice. I've made mine.