Saturday, April 22, 2006

"Birthday greetings, bottle of wine....."

So I called my mother today. For no reason than I haven't really spoken with her in awhile and I haven't seen her since before easter. Incidentally, do you know what you call a rabbit soaked iun lighter fluid? The Ether Bunny.

So I called mom just to chat and to talk a little about monday. For those who don't know my mom, it's her birthday on monday. In our family, on birthdays, we usually just come together to have dinner together and the birthday celebrant gets to decide the meal. As it's mom's birthday and she usually does the cooking, we'll be ordering in. Likely Swiss Chalet. That's the usual fall back dinner. When you can't make up your mind, get Swiss Chalet, everybody (in my family) likes Swiss Chalet. Can't go wrong really.

Now my mom is a real special lady. Diminutive though she may be (she is taller than Jaci though, but not by much) she carries with her an aura of.....well really it's fear. Ask anyone that knows my mom and they will all say the same thing, "Wonderful lady, but I'm not going to cross her!" I don't really know why. I've never seen her REALLY angry. Which is odd, considering the stunts I've pulled in my day.

Jaci and I even had this conversation shortly after we got engaged. I said very plainly "Jac, I love you more than life itself and if you get into an argument with anyone in the family I will stand with you all the way. If you get my mother mad I'll be in the car."

So hats off to the lady that sat through lord knows how many soccer games, choir concerts, band concerts, plays, school and cadet functions and many many other things. The woman who was there for me always from the time I was a wee lad will always hold a special place.

I hope your birthday will be great! Lots of love.

Rich

p.s. I still get to pick your nursing home.