Thursday, March 23, 2006

Look up! There it goes!

During the discussion last night I realized a few things. First is that I don't much care for the group "Radiohead". Second is that while I watched the video for the song I wasn't enjoying, I didn't really see it, even on the second take. Third is that I'm just really not that bright, either that or I'm too apathetic. Shall I explain?

The discussion was centred around the video, it's contents and tying that to faith and the area where the church is located. You know what? I didn't get it. When the video was showing the grafitti on the walls and the "tags" of the different scrawlers, do you know what was running through my head? Words to the effect of "Lawless S.O.B's who have no respect for rules or authority."

Nothing about their creative expression, artistic ability, or anything even remotely connected. Punks with paint. To me, that was the bottom line.

And then the discussion turned to matters of faith. I can't say that I got too much from it because the level of the discussion was quite above my head. Let me use this analogy. In the journey of faith, I am no longer crawling. I think I have started to take steps on my own two feet. Baby steps maybe, but definately walking; and the level of discussion last night was cruisin' down the highway in a lexus. But I'm OK with that. As Nick said "I don't even understand women, let alone God!" I have time.

I have also been learning about myself as I pertain to art and culture within the community and around it. I am learning that as a general rule I could give a rat's behind about most of it. For example, I look at a Bateman painting and I love it, I look at a Picasso or a Van Gogh (and I have) and I think "People PAID for that?!?" I don't get it; it doesn't interest me enough to learn, and I'm OK with that. That's one of the beautiful things about the arts, they mean different things to different people and sometimes mean nothing at all.

I don't know if Jaci and I will be there next week because of vacation, but I will go back. Even if only for the company before and after.

Cheers!