Friday, March 03, 2006

Ipperwash

Steve C. has some posts on this topic and I was starting to post a comment and then I realized that with the amount I was typing, I might as post on it. So here goes.

In Canada, we live in a free and democratic state, where we duly elect representatives to govern us. These folks draft and enact laws. Sadly sometimes these laws get broken and we therefore need a police force, not to confuse police force with police state. I know several of Hamilton's finest and a few RCMP Constables but not too many OPP. What I have learned is that police in this country are SO restricted in their activities that in the course of a 12 hour shift, they will answer only a few calls because each call generates MOUNTAINS of paperwork.

In many ways I believe their restrictions are a good thing. They should not be able to listen in on my phone calls unless they prove to a judge that there's a good chance I'm breaking the law. They should be required to advise me of my rights if they are going to deprive me of my freedom (i.e. put me in the clink). And as I have seen first hand, they respond with only the force needed to keep the peace and resolve violence (exceptions happen, but are rare). While it's true I don't expect our police to go about looking for a fight, it is equally true that if they have to fight, I don't expect them to lose.

With this being said, in that Free State, the OPP does answer to the office of the premier. The premier's office does not have the authority to order an assassination. Mike Harris could very well have screamed at the top of a mountain (with or without slurs) that he wanted all the protesters shot, hung, drawn and quartered, but it makes no difference. All police services have VERY strict rules about when they can and when they cannot use force, and using force because the premier said so doesn't qualify.

I don't profess to know everything about what happened at Ipperwash. But I know cops. To get such a strong police presence meant that the natives were either armed, threatening violence or both. They were breaking laws whether they believe themselves justified or not.

Were mistakes made? Probably. Only by law enforcement? Not likely. If the protesters made peaceful demonstrations and called their elected representatives persistently for action would Mr. George still be alive? Who knows.

Kierkegaard once said that "Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forward."


'Nuff said.