Friday, February 17, 2006

The Phone Call

So the other day when I was on my rant about CUPE and my hiney and suchforth, my gears were sufficiently ground to call my MPP, now granted I had to look up who it was since I moved to Dundas (Ted McMeekin, Liberal, in case you wondered). So I place a call to his local office during business hours and get his answering machine stating when the office was open (incidentally, the office should have been open when I called).

In my message I said that I was a constituent and wanted to ask some questions about Bill 206, and would like SOMEONE to call me back. Fully expecting one of two options, either no call back (which would have merited another phone call and a much nastier toned blog) or one of his aides to call me. I didn't think the member would call me because I am really only one guy, calling about a hot topic, and I do realize the member is likely a busy guy.

Imagine my utter shock when at about 2115h this evening my phone rings and it's Mr. McMeekin himself! Completely floored he and I then got into my opinions on the bill and why I don't think the City is going to get behind it etc etc etc. Ted listened very patiently (I call him Ted now, he and I are pretty tight - actually I called him 'sir') and explained a little more to me and gave me some of the pieces of the elusive 'big picture'.

At the end of the conversation, my opinion hadn't changed. I am now and always have been in favour of the bill. I now have a little better understanding of our corner of the village. I am also more firmly convinced that the CUPE leadership (mind I said leadership and not members) are at this point doing nothing more than sword-rattling and flexing their collective muscle trying to "out-pee" the next guy, and getting column inches at the same time. Don't them fool you, they say they are trying to "protect their members pension". Bull.

The pensions are fine. They see one small group of people who are not legally allowed to strike to get their interests heard, getting a different piece of pie than those that can strike every three years. And the CUPE leadership is crying foul. I think the whole thing stinks. But I digress.

Ted called me and was prepared to talk to me about the hottest thing in the provincial legislature right now. This I like. Even though I believe Dalton McGuinty is a wee bit of a horse's petoot, my heart beats a little better knowing I am represented by someone who makes these calls even after business hours.

I just may call him again.