Thursday, February 23, 2006

Organs, organs everywhere and never a donor card

There is a private members' bill being introduced into the Ontario Legislature by Mr. Frank Klees (PC) where he wants to make it mandatory that you fill out your organ donor card. If you don't, then you don't get your driver's license and/or your health card. His bill doesn't say you have to donate, just that you have to check one of the boxes (yes/no/undecided). His reasoning is that by making you check a box the hope is you read what you are signing and opt to donate. Even if you don't sign yes right away the intent is to get you to THINK about the topic and just maybe discuss it with your family.

This bill comes right on the heels of another private members' bill by Peter Cormos (NDP) where his bill is calling for a presumed consent unless stated otherwise. An idea that I think has some merit, I also think it may just be too much of a reach for the general public. Judicious note should be taken my gentle readers that these bills are private bills being introduced by first a New Democrat and then a Conservative. In case you lost track, in Ontario we have a Liberal majority which means that both bills will likely die a quick death and may rise from the ashes in the next provincial election.

And now for my two cent opinion. I think it's a GREAT idea but I think Mr. Klees is closer to the mark. Start small. Baby steps. Most think organ donation is great unless it's the organs of their loved one who was just in a fatal accident and hour ago. I have seen families at that junction and they are in serious overload and often and emotional shock.

More often than not the first reaction of family is to deny organ donation many times because they want to keep their loved one "whole". I understand the concept, and I completely sympathize. Jaci and I have spoken on the matter and I know her wishes but if (God truly forbid) something were to happen could I give up her organs? I would like to think I could and pray every day that I will never have to make that decision. I have also told Jaci that should anything happen to me, give away whatever they will take, burn the rest, and "party on Wayne!"

In short though, whatever the outcome, people are now talking about it. Whatever it takes to get the issue into the front of people's minds long enough to provoke a discussion. I commend these two courageous MPP's and wish them the very best.

'Nuff said.