Monday, February 27, 2006

I read the news today.....Oh, boy!

It's Monday morning and I worked a night shift last night. I'm still awake for a few reasons, one is that Jaci gets her first work break at 0915 and I haven't heard her voice in a few hours, I miss her so I wait. Two is that after work there was about 15 medics and ambulance dispatchers that went out for breakfast, so I got home later. Three is that while at work, I got about 3-3.5 hours of sleep at the end of my shift, so I'm not overly tired (no comments on that one please).

So whilst I am waiting to hear the honey-sweet voice that belongs to my beautiful bride, I read the morning newspaper and there were a few articles that I thought were worth a blog. So here we go.

PARKING
First, a business owner is downtown Hamilton is saying that free parking is the ticket to help re-vitalize the downtown core. Bull. To begin, the city's finances are way to fragile to lose the revenue. Second, free parking is a band-aid solution, and not a good band-aid at that. In my opinion, better policing (which is starting with more beat-cops) is where to start and then focus on targeted commercial re-vitalization. Strip clubs, peep shows, and drug parephenelia stores don't do much for your average client base.

FREE DENTIST
A couple of Philippine dentists (nationality is only relevant because of what was going on there 20 years ago this time) and their staff have given their time and materials to give free dental care to needy families. The only day so far that they have done this they reached about 20 families, which will grow exponentially if they keep it up. I hope they do and I doff my hat to them.

4.74 SECONDS
If you get a chance, read this article in the spec (page A9). Un-real. Canada lost out on 10 Olympic medals because of 4.74 seconds. All I have to say about that is any Olympic athlete has my respect and admiration and really, fourth in an Olympic race is better than 99.9% of the global population can achieve. Hats off to all of them, from all nations (especially the Latvians).

BON SOIR MON AMI
Friday night saw the passing of one of the greatest comedic giants ever. Five time Emmy winner (all from The Andy Griffith Show) Don Knotts passed away from pulmonary complications. The ability to make all generations laugh equally hard enough for milk to shoot from your nasal passages is truly a gift from God. Mr. Knotts did just that in a G-rated fashion for more than half a century. Rest in peace and I have no doubt that there is now milk on heaven's walls.

So that is the opinion for today. I have spoken with the love of my life and I am ready for bed. Thanks for reading.