Monday, January 16, 2006

January Election

With Paul Martin's minority government overthrown by the forces of ineptitude, we as Canadians are once again going to the polls on the 23rd of January. Politics is always a hot topic around any table (or throne room) and it has been my admittedly limited experience that the most vocally enraged are the ones who have learned the least about the issues; or they don't distinguish between provincial and federal politics. As a "fer instance", one person I know was adamant that he wasn't going to vote for Martin's Liberals because of all the trouble we are having in our local health care arena. He was quoting newspaper articles almost verbatim about the shortages of family doctors, ever increasing waiting periods for just about everything, and the terrible state of Hamilton's Emergency Departments. I almost hated to point out that while he was correct about the details, he failed to notice which branch of government was responsible.

On the same track now, just a different train, here are some my own personal thoughts on politics. During the last federal election I was living on Hamilton Mountain where Beth Phinney has been entrenched for almost two thousand years. I have nothing against Mrs. Phinney, she in fact has been a long time friend of my dad's, however she did lose my vote for two main reasons. The first is that I firmly believe one would have to use dynamite to blow the fence-post out of her butt and make her stand up and state an original opinion. The second, and I believe most important is that I couldn't get her on the phone.

I had an issue I wanted to talk to her about, and as my elected representative I (foolishly?) believed that with a phone call and within a few days, depending on schedules, I could get a few minutes of the member's time. This didn't happen, and this cost her my vote. When I voted in the last election I remember telling my girlfriend (now my wife) that while I was 100% positive that Paul Martin would make a good Prime Minister and Steven Harper as PM scared the jeepers out of me, no way was Phinney getting my vote. Her conservative opponent that time was city councilman Tom Jackson, who I had met a few times (I lived in his ward). Now while I didn't agree with everything Jaskson said, he at least had an opinion and wasn't overly afraid to voice it.

Now the Liberals have chosen councilman Bill Kelly to win the mountain again and I think that he makes a great choice. I have heard him in council and on the radio, and on CH TV when he did the call in show. Mr. Kelly is an intelligent and informed man who seems to listen to what people say and I truly believe he makes what he believes is the best possible decision. Were I living still on the mountain, not only would I vote for Kelly, I may have even offered to volunteer to help elect him.

However, I now live in Dundas. The Dundas riding is actual the riding of Ancaster-Duncas-Flamborough-Westdale. Rather a large bit of territory. Last weekend I had a Liberal Campaigner come to the door and ask if the Liberal incumbent, Russ Powers, could count on my support. I honestly told him that I was new to the area and didn't know much about any of the candidates so I wasn't yet sure where I would vote. The man thanked me for my time and ventured off (leaving me the ever present leaflet).

An hour or two later I was greatly surprised to find Mr. Powers knocking on my front door. The first thing that went through my mind is his riding is huge, my street is small and not a through street, and he's knocking at my door because he likely wants me to get to know him. Actually the first thought that went through my head was "wow, he's kinda short", but that's neither here nor there.

Mr. Powers then stood in my living room while I asked him questions about such things as health care, same sex marriage, and taxes. To his credit he stood firm and answered each question completely and fully. To date, and to my knowledge, he is the only candidate that has knocked on my door.

I believe that voting in a free election is and should be a cherished right of citizenship. I belive that it is just as dangerous to not vote as it is to vote when you really don't know the issues. I am also a firm believer in the "if you don't vote, don't squawk" philosophy. One doesn't have to devour every newspaper and stay glued to each news broadcast, but you should get to know the candidates in your riding. Know who you are sending to represent you in governement and hold them responsible for their words and deeds. If every one did this, I believe we could have a truly responsible government

I think the Liberals are in real trouble this time around, and I don't believe they are going to win. I also don't like mud-slinging and attack ads. In my little corner of Dundas however, Mr. Powers right now has my vote. I may not agree with everything the Liberals have said and done (and I don't), but Mr. Powers stood firm in my living room and was prepared to and did answer anything I asked him. That takes some moxy, and I think just a little character; I can live with that.

p.s. I don't believe Tony Valeri did anything immoral or illegal with his lastest real estate venture, I do think he's just trying to line his pockets a little because he truly believes he will be out of a job in a few weeks. 'Nuff said.